Thursday, September 2, 2010

Me - the writer - answering my own questions

I asked the authors at Zeus Publications to fill in an author questionnaire and I decided to fill one in myself.

Name: Donna Munro
What are the books you have written?: I have only been published in magazines so I can only say I’ve written book-length manuscripts. I started out with ‘The Fire Within’ a romance novel. As a first attempt it was, let’s just say, a learning curve. It sits in my filing cabinet along with two other romance genre manuscripts, and mainstream fiction story titled ‘Bindi. My latest is general/chick-lit type fiction titled ‘Finding Tarzan’. I’m currently seeking a publisher for it. I’m very proud of this one. I've learnt a lot from my previous attempts.
What is your perfect genre?: Mostly women’s fiction, gritty romance (real sex scenes) and thrillers.
Where is your favourite place to write?: I wish I had the perfect study. I have a lovely picture of it in my head. Oh, one day.
What is your favourite writing reference, tool etc.?: My brain. I try to keep it functioning smoothly by good diet and exercise. Without my brain how would I think up story lines? How would I imagine anything?
Do you need peace and quiet or noise and chaos when you write?: I have a boisterous family so if I waited for peace and quiet I would never have had time to write five manuscripts along with the freelance stories and articles I do.
What is something unique about your writing?: Me. I guess it’s the only unique thing – my voice.
Do you think rejection is just a part of writing that writers have to accept?: Unfortunately, yes. I’ve had my fair share. I dislike it so much I haven’t sent my older manuscripts to more than one or two publishers and I know I shouldn’t have given up that easily. I will not give up on ‘Finding Tarzan’.
Does anyone help you with your writing process?: I have encouragement from friends family and mentors but when it comes to the crunch, it’s up to me.
What is your best advice to new writers?: Have faith in your ability but don’t be cocky. Keep learning everything about the craft.
What can’t you live without?: My family of course. Being a mother and wife are my most fulfilling roles but being a writer is a core part of who I am.
Who is your favourite author?: There are tonnes but I like Australian’s Jennifer Bacia, Di Morrissey and Rachael Treasure. My favourite book is ‘A Man Cannot Cry’ by Gloria Keverne. Nicholas Sparks makes me cry but I adore his books. I'm currently into Janet Evanovich's books which are quirky.
What do you do as a hobby or pastime other than writing?: Anything to do with fitness and health, keeping a nice home, watching Rugby League (my son’s Joel and Blake play) and being involved in volunteering.

In one word describe yourself: Short.

No comments:

Post a Comment